It's Dulce here. So, we've made a basic shorts pattern, now let's make some shorts!!! You will need about a yard of fabric (depends on your measurements), and 7" invisible zipper.
(1) Using the shorts pattern we made yesterday, cut out four pieces.
Make sure you cut two pieces facing one way and two pieces facing another!
(2) Place your invisible zipper along the long side of one of the pieces. Start from the band line, not the very top of the shorts. Mark the spot on the shorts piece where the bottom of the zipper ends with a pin.
(3) Place the right sides of two opposite-facing pieces together and stitch up the side to the pin using a 1/2" seam allowance.
(4) Install the zipper according to the instructions that come with it.
(5) Now stitch the short straight side of these two pieces together and press open the seams.
(6) Place the right sides of the other two opposite-facing pieces together and stitch along the long curved edge and the short straight edge.
(7) Now, turn one piece right side out and place it inside the other piece which should be turned inside out. Line up the long curve on both pieces which should be shaped like a "U." Pin the right sides of both curves together. Stitch along this curve using a 1/2" seam allowance. Then pull out the piece on the inside...and you should have something that is starting to look like a pair of shorts!
(8) With the shorts flipped inside out, roll the top of the band down 1/2" and then fold down another 1". Make sure you fold the band over the tops of the zipper! Press the band down and stitch along the bottom of the fold and then topstitch around the top of the band. (If you want your band to be a bit stiffer, iron on a long, thin strip of fusible interfacing before you fold down the band and stitch.)
(9) Finally, pin and stitch the hem on both short legs. Make sure they are even lengths before you stitch them!!!
There you have it! Some cute, comfy, and easy shorts! And let me tell you...they are so comfy!!! I want to make several more pairs for next summer!